A Staff Profile: Coach Claflin

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Staff Profile: Coach Claflin

Jenna Thiry

Jenna Thiry

Jenna Thiry

Laura Zittlow, Reporter

Coach Claflin first began his coaching career at Southern Door back in 1991 when he took a position to coach the Varsity boy basketball. In 1999 he took the team to state. It was the first time that any Door County team went to state in over 50 years. When asked what it was like to play at the Kohl Center in front of 12,000 – 15,000 people, he said it was exciting and special. Some of his other accomplishments as head coach include three conference championships.

Coach Claflin decided to end his coaching career after 20 years to be with his family and make all of his family events. He decided to coach one more season because of his connect to the boys.  Having all the boys in gym class before/currently is the reason for his connection with his players. He is also looking forward to  coaching his son, Ryan Claflin, in his final season of boys high school basketball. His son is the main reason that he is taking up coaching again.

In talking with Coach Claflin, he said that he is expecting a competitive team who will compete for the conference championship and do well in the playoffs. Most importantly, he wants his team to have fun out on the court. He is looking forward to this current season.