Waniger Schoolhouse

Southern Door School's Schoolhouse

Stephany Massart, Reporter

The Waniger schoolhouse building is located next to the parking lot near the elementary/middle school playgrounds. It was built in 1882 by German settlers and is one of the first schools built in the Southern Door area. This school ceased to be used in 1960 when the Southern Door School District was first built.

Randy Weckler and family gifted this schoolhouse to Southern Door school in 2008. It is now used as a “living museum” to help students and communities learn what it was like to have school in a one-classroom building.

This school is a living history that is still available to the public. There are open houses to the community in June, July, and August from 12:00-3:00 and are free.

The building has been restored to continue to have it standing and for it to be used. This school has been used for many different purposes, including, but not limited to, presentations, learning opportunities, historical missions, etc.

 

Southern Door Pictures Album

http://www.southerndoor.k12.wi.us/cms/one.aspx?portalId=335413&pageId=1026611
Go to the above URL to see some of the pictures from their restoration and just some shots of the actual building.