Spring Band and Choir Concert

2019

Ella Wienke, Reporter

This year was a very loaded one for many of our music students. Between kicking off with a bang and long hours of the musical: Mamma Mia, rescheduled concerts from snow days, and high numbers of participation in both District and State Solo and Ensemble there was never a dull moment. The Spring Concert on May 7th was a great wrap up to the year and showcased the massive amount of talent we have in our very own school. Starting off, the Jazz Band played a few selections Jzembo Na Muala Zamba, and Flight of the Foo Birds. They then teamed up with the choral Vocal Jazz group to perform It Don’t Mean a Thing, a classic American jazz piece by Duke Ellington.

The Women’s Choir then took the stage to sing traditional choral pieces along with an arrangement of One Call Away by Charlie Puth featuring soloists from the whole group. Concert Choir then made their entrance by performing Lamentations of Jeremiah, a very dramatic piece that caught the attention of the audience. They then performed their ensembles that were both featured at State Solo and Ensemble this past weekend. The choir then finished off their set by performing two pieces combined with all of the choir students, along with assistance on percussion by some of the band members. To top it off, the Seniors pulled off a final farewell surprise, each of them singing little parts of songs from the year.

The band then took the final part of the night and started off with their saxophone ensemble who performed First Movement, earning them an almost perfect score at state. The woodwind ensemble then performed Wachet Auf, a German titled piece, yet another piece performed at state, earning them a perfect score. To top off the night, the Concert Band performed three selections including Make Our Garden Grow. 

There were also many awards given out that night including the Louis Armstrong award and the Point of Light award. Congratulations to all of the recipients!