Wisconsin’s Rising Lung Disease Caused by Vaping

What students should consider.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ella Wienke, Reporter

In late August 2019, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services issued yet another warning against certain types of vaping.  Research has stated that most cases of lung disease from vaping have been directly correlated to an aspect of THC in vapes. The number of cases has been increasing state and country-wide with a growing number of hospitalizations and even lawsuits. While no one has died in Wisconsin as a result of vaping, there have been several deaths reported in other states. It is estimated by the state Department of Health Services that 1 in 5 high school students would be vaping as of last year and that the percentage of students has increased by 154% between 2014-2018. A lawsuit was filed in September of this year claiming that there was an insufficient warning on the dangers of these products. The suit was filed by three teenagers who began using Juuls at age 16 or 17 and now struggle with nicotine addiction, lung problems, or difficulty breathing. In July 2019, there were 8 reported cases in Wisconsin of teens hospitalized with the underlying cause being vaping. While the Department of Health Services admittedly does not have a full understanding of the effect of these products, they have been issuing warnings for a while now and want teens throughout the state to recognize the effects of vaping and help put a stop to the increasing number of health issues state-wide.