Schools Worldwide

Learn what is happening in Ecuadorian school systems

Back to Article
Back to Article

Schools Worldwide

Chloe Staudenmaier, Foreign Correspondent

School has started up again. The first quarter is coming to a wrap. Tests are being taken and grades are being issued, but have you ever thought of what school is like in a different country? In France, some schools go from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm with a two-hour lunch break. In Germany, some schools have a different release time every day. In Cuenca, Ecuador, most schools start at 7:30 am and end at 2:10 pm. At Southern Door, we start at 7:55 am and end at 3:15 pm.

The schedules of schools are different but so are the classes. Here, each student chooses his or her personal schedules, whereas, within my Ecuadorian school, students had the same schedule as their peers. They did not select their classes based on interests but instead had nine 40-minute classes assigned per day. Students walk to the teacher’s rooms in the United States while, in Ecuador, the teachers went from classroom to classroom. In the United States, we are fortunate to have SmartBoards and other forms of technology; however, in Ecuador teachers wrote lessons on chalkboards. Technology is not as affordable and accessible to schools due to a lack of governmental funding.

Some schools issue student uniforms in the United States however it is not common. In Ecuador, all schools- public and private require students to wear a uniform. Another difference between my school in Ecuador and Southern Door is the infrastructure. In Ecuador, the school has a more airy and open look. The administrative offices and classrooms all had individual buildings and in between each classroom was a plaza. In order to go from one classroom to the other, an individual would have to go outside. School infrastructure, student life, and classes are different throughout the world, and we all should take time to appreciate the differences.